Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Gun Blogger Rendezvous --- R.I.P. ???





Nine years ago, when I first fired up the Gun Blogger Rendezvous, blogging was a completely different world compared to blogging today. A lot of the early bloggers are now more involved with Facebook, instead of blogging. The bloggers who blog almost every day are still doing well, but the mid to smaller sized bloggers are disappearing.

Looking back, I'd say the Gun Blogger Rendezvous has been very successful, giving a bunch of great folks a chance to get together once a year and socialize, shoot, raise money for worthy charities, and have a good time. The demand for such an event seems to be dropping, even though we have continued to add new activities each year. It is a lot of work to put on such an event, and moving it from city to city each year makes it many times more difficult. It has always been the kind of event I would personally like to attend. When you are running it, however, it's a lot more like work than fun, even though it is very rewarding too.

Unless someone is willing to step in and take over running the Gun Blogger Rendezvous, then the last Rendezvous has been held. If someone wants to take over for me, and run it in Reno, I can certainly work with them as to venues, contacts, and other details that have taken years to establish. I can even help at the event, including MC'ing, if needed.

If not, so long, and thanks for all the fish......... (You DO know where that line came from, don't you?)

8 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 17, 2014 7:16:00 PM, Blogger David aka True Blue Sam said...

I sensed this coming. You put together a great package this year, but attendance was down, and too few made GBR a priority. You had a good run, made some good times, and made a lot of friends. Thanks for running the Rendezvous all these years!

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:57:00 AM, Anonymous AaronW said...

Say it ain't so! I attended GBR back in 2011 and had an amazing time. Because finances got in the way this year, I already began a saving plan for GBR 2015!
I hope like heck that someone grabs the reigns and keeps the event going...

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2014 5:16:00 AM, Anonymous AaronW said...

Out of the box idea, btw: If nothing "gels" for another GBR in 2015, why not designate the Texas International Firearms Festival as a rallying point for GBR folk? Even "VIP" tickets are reasonable, and as I understand it, there is not additional charge for firing the weapons on display.

 
At Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:08:00 AM, Blogger Merle said...

I hope not; even though I've never been able to attend I keep hoping "maybe next year".

Merle

 
At Wednesday, December 24, 2014 5:29:00 PM, Blogger Billll said...

An interesting thought, merging GBR in with a larger event. Absent that, Colorado Springs has facilities similar to those in Reno.

 
At Friday, January 02, 2015 9:55:00 AM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Aww man! Maybe we need to form a "Rendezvous Committee" and have meetings about Rendezvousing in exotic locals? Or in Reno.

 
At Saturday, January 03, 2015 9:28:00 PM, Blogger Bill Quick said...

I'll miss GBR, Mr. C. Some really good times there.

But I understand. We're all getting a bit older. At least I am.

Good luck and long life!

 
At Monday, January 05, 2015 9:03:00 AM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

I'll miss it a lot because it's my only chance to meet-up with these guys and gals. We don't exactly travel in the same circles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted