Friday, June 17, 2011

Tanfoglio Gold Custom 9mm. Race Gun

Tanfoglio Gold Custom 9mm.
 Shooting Steel Challenge in the Open Division was something I've always wanted to do, but the cost of a competitive race gun combined with the cost of all the ammunition you need to shoot to be competitive had kept me in the Rimfire Open class. Now, thanks to Hans Wigger of Dutch Firearms Trading, I will be able to give the Open Division a go! Hans made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a used Tanfoglio Gold Custom 9mm. pistol that had been shot a lot and needed some new parts, but was still in very good condition. Getting it here from Holland was a challenge, but not at all where you would expect it to be challenging and difficult. The ATF folks were friendly and helpful for applying for the import permit. Once I got the import permit, an export permit was fairly straight-forward in Holland.

Once I had all of that paperwork taken care of, I figured it would be straight-forward to actually get it shipped to my local FFL to have it transferred to me. Boy, was I ever wrong! None of the major shippers such as UPS, FEDEX, DHL and some others would ship a pistol. I checked with the airlines that flew from Amsterdam to Seattle, such as Delta and a few others, including a freight only airline, and no luck. I finally had to hire a freight forwarder to coordinate the shipment, and that brought on a whole lot of folks with their hands out for a piece of the action, fee-wise.

After many months of frustration, I got notice that the package had finally arrived in Seattle, and I had to take the papers to Customs to get it cleared into the country. The Customs folks looked over the paperwork, and stamped it OK. It didn't take ten minutes, and it would have been even quicker if there hadn't been someone in line ahead of me.

From Customs I drove to the Continental Airlines air freight office and handed them the paperwork. They charged me another $35 handling fee, and then handed me the package. Finally it was here!

After getting home, I eagerly unpacked it and started to get it set up for left-handed use. I installed the standard ambidextrous safety, but with my small hands I couldn't reach the safety lever on the right side. I made a prototype safety lever for the right side of the gun that I could reach, and mounted it instead of the Tanfoglio part. That's the new one in the picture. By making it sit farther rearward and also lower, I could now reach it.

I just got back from the range after putting forty or fifty rounds of assorted/leftover 9mm. through it, and it's obvious that when they fixed it up for me they must have figured I was going to be running some heavy loads, as the only ammo that would regularly cycle the gun were some old bowling pin loads! I will put in a bit lighter spring, and then it should work just fine.

When I finally get this Gold Custom dialed in and the right load worked up, this is clearly going to be one sweet shooter!

I can hardly wait........

5 Comments:

At Monday, June 20, 2011 9:37:00 PM, Anonymous Jeff B said...

Is it a small frame Tanfoglio? They run much better in 9mm. I'm still shooting my Gold Team in 38 super. In case you didn't know, there are some great parts and stuff from tanfoglioparts.com.

Let me know when you're bringing it to Oregon. We'll get on the same squad.

 
At Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:54:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

Hi Jeff!

Yup, it's the small frame. Nothing planned for Oregon at the moment, except for Man of Steel next Spring.

Mr. C.

 
At Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. C,
'bout time you joined the minority club of T owners. With the 'new' MEC-GAR mags for the large frame gun, there's no longer an FTF problem with mine. It makes it like it should be!
LouG

 
At Saturday, August 27, 2011 9:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr C,

Now that you have had the T for a while...are you making Major PF with it? and if so what is your recipe?

Thanks
Tim

 
At Sunday, August 28, 2011 10:04:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

Since I'm using the Tanfoglio only for Steel, I'm trying to get as far away from major pf as I can and still have the gun run reliably. I am running 4.5 gr. of Power Pistol with a 147gr. Rainier hollow points, and it shoots pretty nice and quite soft, but the pf is still over 145. That's a very good load for bowling pins, though. The barrel is not stock, as it has a compensator, but no ports, so it doesn't lose any velocity from the ports. This is just a load I set up in a hurry over several weeks, and it can be improved upon, for sure. I was working with a deadline (the World Steel Challenge Championships) and I was willing to trade some extra recoil for reliability, and this particular load ran well for me.

Mr. C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted