Friday, April 23, 2010

RV "Major Tune-up"

Our Toyoya SunRader RV at the Eddie Brown Memorial Metal Match last year.

It's been an interesting week ,and it's still not over. Last weekend our Toyota Sunrader RV engine started running poorly and rattling, and we were just barely able to limp our way home from the KRRC Steel match in Bremerton. I've been working on the engine at night all week, and with the rattle, compression being down just a little on two cylinders, and not idling properly even after checking the regular stuff, I decided to pull the engine and go through it completely.

The engine now has new rings, bearings, clutch plate and pressure plate, timing chain, timing chain guides, and timing chain tensioner. I also replaced the pilot bearing and throwout bearing.  The valves and seats are reground and the valves are lapped in with new valve stem seals. The block, originally unpainted and rusty brown, now sports a shiny gray paint job. While I had the head apart I ported it a bit, matching all the intake and exhaust ports to the gasket and manifold.The engine is now ready to go back in.

If all goes well, I should have the engine back in today and fire it up. I wasn't really happy with the carburetor before the rebuild, and even though I cleaned it and everything looked OK, a new carb may be in the engine's near future.

Of course there's no pressure to get this done, as I have to be on the road to Portland for the Man of Steel Championships next Friday morning early!  I sure hope there's no surprises when it fires up, but you never know until you light it up.  I will still need to get several hundred miles on it and change the oil and filter before we leave for Oregon.

I was planning on working on my shooting, and practicing every day this week, in preparation for the Man of Steel match. It looks like I'll be lucky if I can just stay awake through the match.............

7 Comments:

At Friday, April 23, 2010 10:04:00 AM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

My Man the mechanic. OMG can you imagine how much this job would cost if we had to 'pay ' for a mechanic to do the job, it doesn't bear thinking about.
I am so proud of MrC he can fix practically anything. As for the late hours he put in,I heard him come into the bedroom after working one night, and the clock said 3:40am nuff said!
Good job honey.

 
At Friday, April 23, 2010 5:03:00 PM, Blogger kc_oms said...

you da MAN

 
At Friday, April 23, 2010 7:07:00 PM, Blogger David aka True Blue Sam said...

I used to be able to overhaul Fords, Chevys, Waukeshas, ( boy did I love Waukeshas!) but my current job keeps me pushing pencils and computer keys. My toolbox and workbench are totally disorganized. You are an inspiration!

 
At Friday, April 23, 2010 7:59:00 PM, Anonymous LibertyNews said...

Just add the money you saved to the shooting fund :) Reminds me I need to get my garage cleaned out again...

 
At Saturday, April 24, 2010 5:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I am grumbling and putting off changing the starter in our '91 Park Avenue. And I use to think nothing of tearing bikes, snowmobiles and cars apart.
You shame me, Sir!! I'll go to the garage and get started now...

 
At Sunday, April 25, 2010 5:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were you able to determine the original cause of the problem? My Toyota truck had one of those "computerized" carbs & that's about how it ran when the carb went belly up. Plus going to wide-open-throttle, from time to time. Made for an interesting trip home, all in all.

Merle

 
At Thursday, April 29, 2010 4:18:00 AM, Blogger Phil said...

Was the rattle actually in the bottom end? The 22R is pretty solid and unless you've already got lots of noise coming from down below, it will take the pressure from just replacing the head and gasket.

If you can, scrap the factory carb and replace it with the downdraft Weber 38's.

http://toyotaperformance.com/24.htm

http://www.lceperformance.com/22R-Weber-38-w-K-N-Filter-22R-Manifold-p/1030045.htm

There are adapter kits that'll put it right on the factory manifold. Though pricey, ditching the manifold for an Offenhauser would yield better performance.

Good luck. I wish this could have been done before it was "needed".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted