Friday, September 15, 2006

Taurus PT92 Econo Race Gun Update

By golly, it's getting to where it's starting to be competitive! The extraction problems have been resolved. The extractor was quite worn form a whole lot of shooting over the years, and a little sharpening with the Dremel solved the problem. A new extractor is on the way from Taurus, though, as this fix may not last. I'll put in the new extractor and spring, and keep the old one as a backup. Feeding seems to be working smoothly after polishing the feed ramp and recontouring it a little bit. Hollow points over 1.118 in length are a little dicey, but everything else seems to feed without problems. The trigger shoe I made up widened the trigger and moved the face of it forward about 3/16", so it feels like it's about where it ought to be. Accuracy seems to be much improved with some of the slop elimination, both between the barrel and the slide, and between the slide and the frame. I'll have to take some new pictures to show some of the changes. The next project is an ambidextrous safety, since I shoot it left-handed.

I shot it yesterday afternoon at bowling pins and on two practice Steel Chalenge stages, at a practice sessio nfor the County Inter-Club Challenge Match, and it worked without a burp all afternoon. I was able to shoot a five pin run in 3.7 seconds, which although nothing earth-shaking, is at least in the high three's, which is very encouraging. On the steel, I managed a number of runs also in the upper 3 second range, which for me at least, is also encouraging.

To put this project in perspective, there is no way this will ever be comparable with a $4000 dollar STI race gun, but it's an attempt to come up with an economical low budget race gun for fun shooting at the local club level. So far I have spent roughly $315 dollars on the project, including buying the gun itself. I've also spent quite a few hours tinkering with it, making bits and pieces, and figuring out ways to improve it. It's been a lot of fun!

Of course, to make it fair, the STI should have to remove $3700 dollars worth of parts first, and then see how well it shoots!

Bet I could take 'em, then.........

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 24, 2012 11:46:00 AM, Anonymous zach said...

What type of rail system are you using to mount your scope onto your PT 92?? I myself own a PT 92 and have tried a couple mounts but have yet to find a nice snug one that won't shake loose.

Thanks

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mount was built from scratch. On to the top of it I bolted a piece of Weaver rail.

Mr. C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted