Wednesday, May 10, 2006

AirForce Talon Airguns

The AirForce Talon Air Rifle with all the goodies!




Accuracy? Yup, it can do that!



The AirForce airguns are simply the most exciting and fun airguns available. These are not the Red Ryder BB guns that you remember from your childhood. These airguns are some of the most powerful, upgradable, and customizable guns you can buy. Sorry to sound like an infomercial but I've wanted one of these guns for many years.

The Talon series of guns take the airgun world to a whole new level. They do a one-of-a-kind job of combining rimfire power with match accuracy. Check out http://www.airforceairguns.com to see the different models.

The original model is the Talon with its 18" barrel. Then there's the Condor with its 24" barrel. This is the most consistently powerful airgun available on the planet. This gun is more powerful than most .22 Long Rifle guns available. (1250fps in .22 caliber) The only downside to this power is that it's almost as loud as a normal 22LR rifle. This problem is easily fixable by moving to the Talon SS rifle. This rifle has the same size frame as the Condor (18") but has a 12" barrel. This
additional barrel shrouding removes almost all of the "PCP noise" from the gun with minimal loss of velocity.

The best part of the AirForce airguns is the ability to customise. In fact, the best way to buy the Talon airgun is to buy the Talon SS (836fps w/Crosman Premiers) and add the 24" barrel. This does not move you to Condor power levels but it does take you to just over 1000fps with the Crosman Premiers. With airguns it's important not to move past the sound barrier since the pellets are the most accurate under around 1090 feet per second.

My favorite part of using these airguns is the accuracy. When I shoot one I feel like I'm shooting a custom sniper-rifle. Airguns are made to hit the walnut sized head of a squirrel at 50 or more yards. With a little practice and the proper software extreme accuracy is possible. Yes, I said software. The ChairGun software (http://www.chairgun.com) takes all of the guessing out of airgun shooting. After setting up my Talon SS I was able to dial it in exactly.

I know that with my current setup that at 10 yards I need to move my scope up 72 clicks. With a little practice I can use the adjustable parallax on the end of my scope to dial in the exact distance. Once I know the distance I can dial in the scope exactly on the target. The Red Squirrel that has been eyeing my roof for the last year or so learned this the hard way. And using the Talon SS no one in my neighborhood knew any better when I dispatched the rodent.

Many people stay away from pre-charged pneumatic airguns because of the extra expense and effort involved. Many people will tell you that a Scuba tank is necessary to use a PCP rifle. My suggestion is to get a high-pressure hand-pump. It's a real pain in the butt to pump up a PCP rifle the first time, but once the rifle is pressurized it takes less than 100 pumps to fill. This saves all the stress of finding a dive shop to fill your tank. Many dive shops will not
fill a scuba tank unless you have a dive card. And it's no picnic to carry an 80cf scuba tank around to fill your gun. Buy the hand pump and save yourself the trouble.

The AirForce airguns may seem expensive at first, but the possibilities for their use is limitless. From plinking to hard-core hunting the Talon rifles are unbeatable.

Talon Links worth checking out:

http://www.airforceairguns.com
http://www.talonownersgroup.com
http://www.pyramidair.com
http://www.frameextender.com
http://www.chairgun.com


A big "Thanks" to Ryan for his very first guest post on Mr. Completely. He wrote an excellent post, and hopefully we'll be seeing more posts in the future!

19 Comments:

At Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about using an air compressor with a dessicant dryer system to ensure dry air?

Any guidance on that in the Talon documentation?

Just curious.

 
At Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are air compressors available for these airguns, however they are very expensive and specialized products. A full fill in one of these airguns is 3000psi which is well beyond what a normal air compressor can handle.

For example:
http://www.pyramidair.com/cgi-bin/accessory.pl?accessory_id=327

 
At Friday, May 12, 2006 8:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Completely,

You've about got me sold. I've always shot spring-piston, because PCPs looked like a pain in the ass.

What kind of glass are you using on that thing?

Regards,
Benjamin

 
At Friday, May 12, 2006 10:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use a Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24 40mm scope. Fantastic quality optics. The trick is finding a scope that will focus down to 10yards or less (which the 4200 does). I admit the 4200 is overkill, but I've never been sorry I spent the extra dough.

 
At Friday, February 27, 2009 12:30:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

OK OK OK, I've got a condor and I have done some modifications, from all the common bolt ons that are available from pymamydair.com to modifying some M4 Ris rails and put them up front with a mock silencer. I would like to know where you got that grip! That is sick and really looks a lot more comfortable and WAY better than the slim hard plastic one.

00dank@gmail.com

Thank you!!!

 
At Friday, February 27, 2009 9:19:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

Dan: I haven't heard from Ryan, the author of this post, in some time, but I did find an old email address for him. I've sent him an email and asked if he would answer your question here in the comments. If his email address is still working, you should see his answer soon.

..... Mr. C.

 
At Friday, February 27, 2009 9:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the grip custom made by Fabian Centeno. Here's his website: http://www.southerncrossairguns.com

Also, http://www.airgunsofarizona.com sells a nice wood grip, but Fabian can custom make you a grip for much cheaper.

Ryan

 
At Friday, February 27, 2009 9:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also check out these links for all things Airforce:

http://www.talontunes.com

http://talonairgun.com/forum/

Ryan

 
At Tuesday, June 02, 2009 8:25:00 AM, Blogger victor said...

Can I fill up the rifle tank at a gas station if not I have a air compresor 30 times bigger then the scuba tank can I use that cus I'm abouth to buy a condor rifle this friday .

 
At Tuesday, June 02, 2009 1:13:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Victor,

You can use the compressor if it is a HIGH pressure air compressor. You just need the adapter. I would highly recommend going to www.talonairguns.com and www.talontunes.com

They are all extremely knowledgable about the Talon and Condor, and you may be able to find a really great deal on a slightly used gun!

dan
aka: dank01

 
At Tuesday, June 02, 2009 2:59:00 PM, Blogger victor said...

Thanks for the advise

 
At Saturday, June 06, 2009 11:06:00 PM, Blogger victor said...

Can u hunt rabbit with a 177 pellet ? And is there silencers for the condor ?

 
At Sunday, June 07, 2009 2:35:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You'll find everything you need to know at tthe above websites. Yes you can hunt Wabbit with 177, the speeds are close to 1300FPS and there are "silencers" or better known as moderator shrouds avail. Refer to those websites and you can get more answers than here.

 
At Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:47:00 PM, Blogger victor said...

Hey dan I went to the site u said insted I got 1 condor from this company call CTI warehouse I got the scuba clamp n the sight for 650.50 . What u think abouth the site check it out n tell me , I hope I didn't mest up

 
At Sunday, June 14, 2009 4:20:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

if your happy with it thats all that matters

 
At Monday, January 31, 2011 12:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These airforce airguns look awesome. It seems like they've got a lot of power. It would be fun to go shooting with one of those.

 
At Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:18:00 AM, Blogger Sarah LaClaire said...

Sweet! Those guns look great! I've especially got my eyes set on the condor air rifle, I'm thinking. What are some of the addons that you can buy for these kinds of guns?

 
At Sunday, June 21, 2015 10:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As powerful as an LR? LOL, no. You're going by FPS? Wow...get a clue... .22LR can go up to 200FPE+ while the .22 Condor is stuck at around 60FPE or so and the Talon at 30FPE or so...

 
At Thursday, August 06, 2020 2:23:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey can any one tell me how to install the grip shown in the first pic on my condor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted